DIY Project: Word Wall

Early in the school year, we figured out that reading would be a struggle for Hunter. It’s just not something he’s interested in. From September to June he gets immersed in it at school, and we work on things with him in the evening. Now it’s Summer Vacation, and it’s all on us. 

Flash cards have proven ineffective, but he always talked about the Word Wall in his classroom, so an idea was born! Little did I know how much effort this would end up being. 

The first thing I did was go on to the class website and write down all of the words on the Sight Word list. All 179 of them. 

Once that was done, I went through and wrote them all down, sorted alphabetically. 

Then came the tricky part. In order to make sure everything would fit on the Bristol Board, I counted how many words there were for each letter, and played around with different configurations

After all of that was done and I knew roughly where everything was going to go, work on the Bristol Board began! Lines were drawn to make a chart.

The chart was filled in with the words written in pencil.

I traced over the words with assorted colours of marker, in his favourite colours! 

Lastly, I attacked the whole sheet with an eraser, to get rid of the lines and all the pencil smudges.

Voilà! A lovely, colourful Word Wall that seems to be working really well so far! The colour separation seems to help him find the words he is looking for easier! Only time will tell if it works in the long run, but this was actually a really fun project to do, and I can’t wait to do more! 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s